Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Project NINE: Pencil Drawing Practice


It's been a long time since I've sat down and drawn in pencil. Yesterday, I spent a few hours reading up on Drypoint Printmaking, and am interested in pursuing that as a project. So I thought it might be best to make sure my drawing skills are up to snuff before jumping into a print all about drawing.

Here, I used my No. 2 pencils I have laying around, and an old sketch book that I keep handy. I had this photo of my husband and his niece, and so I used them as my 'muse' for today. All in all, it took me about an hour (back and forth in between appointments). While I feel that this is by no means PERFECT, I often amaze myself at how fast these skills come back. I'm used to drawing on a large scale (4' or larger) with charcoal. Often when I paint, I use my paintbrush to sketch in major lines and layer on the paint from there. Here, I used only my pencil and the page is only 11" x 14". It feels good to practice!!
Brian and Ella, lounging

No comments:

Post a Comment