Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Project THIRTY: Crocheting with Home-Spun Pasti-Yarn


I worked this morning to spin more of the Plasti-Yarn; just enough to try to crochet "something." If I had to spin enough for a scarf, I'd be sitting in front of the TV all day long! So, as impatient as I get, I cut up four more bags, and spun away for about 2 more hours. Then, in about ten minutes, I crocheted a small piece, which kind of looks like a pot-holder. However, I would not advise using this as a pot-holder since it's plastic and would likely melt immediately.
The yarn was a bit stiff since I used the wax, which is not nice when stitching, but IS nice
when working out the completed piece because it stretches and then holds its shape pretty well. Also, my yarn was very inconsistent in size (thin and fat in various areas) which makes for an interesting texture, but not so much for a consistent looking stitch. Also, some of my splices between bag strips were a little weak (only 2, actually) and had to be re-spun/twisted.



If I knew how to make a basket, this might be a neat material to use because it's water
resistant and fairly strong... and besides, it's recycled! I've also seen that people knit with this and make things like small rugs, baskets, and room dividers. I'm interested in trying this with newspaper, but maybe when I have more time on my hands to sit for hours on end.

No comments:

Post a Comment