Thursday, February 11, 2010

Project TWENTY-TWO: Crocheted Jewelry



Last night I attended a jewelry class with my mom. Really, she picked it up a while ago (learning the basics of jewelry making) and then imparted tidbits of knowledge onto me. Which, in turn, sparked my interest in making jewelry. I've been mostly working with jewelry based on the fundamentals she taught me, then from picking up pieces here and there from
other people or books or the internet. If you've ever ventured into this crazy world of
jewelry making, you'll find that there is an
overwhelming amount of supplies with a myriad of names and slang terms. It's easy to drown in catalogs and online sources if you've never really been taught the lingo. So, of course, when my mom mentioned that we should take a few classes together, I was pretty excited to do so. Which brings us to crocheted jewelry.

Luckily for us, we were the only people signed up for the class, and therefore had all the
attention we needed, or wanted, to create our new masterpieces. We spent a while trying to DECIDE on which beads to coordinate and what color wire to use, and of course, which
toggle will look best. I finally decided on a more vintage look, which is what I am always
more drawn to, anyway. Call it safe, but I figured I better concentrate on the technique, not on if I'm happy with my color scheme once all the labor was put into the piece. Here, you can see the final product. We used crochet hooks to chain stitch the beads onto several strands, then braided them all together to get this excellent organic piece. I'm in LOVE with
this elegant result!
Of course, I bought more beads and supplies to make more of these necklaces (or bracelets),
and am also planning on taking more classes with this store (2 Bead or Knot 2 Bead up in Grayslake)! All in all, this project took us about an hour and a half, give or take, for our first try.
Needless to say, this wasn't the cheapest of my projects. Oh well, sometimes we need to spend a little more to get a little more, right? That's right- I'll keep telling myself that...

No comments:

Post a Comment