Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Project THIRTY-THREE: Egyptian Coptic

Pulling out my bookbinding supplies again, I've been working on remembering how to bind a book using the Egyptian Coptic stitch. This is one of my FAVORITE types of books. I love how the spine is exposed to see the stitching, how the book pages lay flat when the book is open, and of course, I love the stitching seen through the front/back covers. It's a heartier book, in my opinion, because you have a "double ply" cardbook for the covers. This type of book takes a little more time, though, for drying of the covers. You really need weights to keep the cardboard flat, overnight. With these two books, I used bookcloth for the covers, and decorative paper for the inside of the covers. It'll be the day when I don't have to worry about lint or cat hair... so once these are dry, you can take a damp cloth and run that over the bookcloth to get rid of that extra cling-on lint. These types of books make excellent journals. I'll be using the "Comments" book for my art shows!

Monday, March 1, 2010

Project THIRTY-TWO: Wire-Wrapped Earrings

Yet another jewelry project- practice, practice, practice! Here are a few examples of a simple wire-wrapped earring. It's pretty easy, and quick- but gives excellent practice working with wire and simple fundamental techniques.

The lime earrings were probably the easiest since they are flat- so the wire easily bent around the stone.
The square turquoise were tricky since they are not a perfect cube. You really need to "force" the wire to "live" where you want it to be. Lastly, I used the artistic wire to wrap the white stone (to match the crocheted necklace previously posted). I would probably use a thicker gauge artistic wire for this wrapping in the future... it's a bit delicate and doesn't hold it's shape well. On the turquoise cubes and the white stone, I made my own earring hooks using 20 gauge (non tarnishing) silver wire.

Project THIRTY-ONE: Asymmetrical 3 Strand (& Earrings)

Hello everyone! It's been a few days, as I've been recovering from illness (yes, again! Tis' the season!). I'll be updating my latest projects this week, so keep an eye out for multiple posts!

Last Wednesday, I pulled out my jewelry again to practice with stringing and wire manipulation. I've not made a multiple strand necklace before, and found this one to be somewhat challenging. The challenging part really comes when determining the length of each strand. I find this is a bit tricky because the necklace lays flat while you work on it, but contours (of course!) to your neckline when being worn.
Here are some pictures of the necklace laying flat, as well as being worn so you have an idea of what I'm talking about. I also made a set of earrings to go along as a nice set. This was a fun practice using multiple jewelry supplies- chain, wire, flexwire, crimps, and a multi-strand slide lock clasp. I'm fairly happy with the result, as I wanted something that was a bit asymmetric, but not overly for those who just want a subtle change of pace. I'm finding that the more I am working with wire and small/delicate type work, the better I am getting with manipulating the wire and beads. This is a tricky obstacle for me, who is used to working in large strides- not as tedious as it once was.