Wednesday, June 29, 2011

ADVENTURES IN ENCAUSTIC

Hunters and Gatherers:
As I begin translating my "digital plan" (as I like to call it) into physical texturized artwork, I drove out to Dick Blick to hopefully find a few materials I wanted to play with- mainly encaustic.

View PAAD in a larger map
On a "funny" side note, I did find myself driving past my turn off to Dick Blick (aptly marked with the dollar sign) landing just a few blocks from my old job (marked with the flag)! That's what you get when your brain goes into autopilot. I did turn off down Cherry to Calumet (marked by the camera icon, though could also be denoted by a $ as I always hear ca-ching, ca-ching as I walk out of that store, too!), another previous and current stomping ground- this made me feel a teensy bit better about my mistake. Once I was roaming around Dick Blick for all of my various items, however, it really did make me miss the availability of tools and materials via my previous career. The grass is always greener...
What I DID find, as anticipated, was a rather large bill (not withstanding that itty bitty teacher discount). Alas, art supplies are never cheap. It is, however, a particularly large jagged chicken bone to swallow when you don't have the money to spend especially with a material you don't have much experience with. I posted on Facebook (that's right, I do do the facebook- though if my students ask I always deny deny deny even knowing what that word means):
Janet Taylor:
"I might have to take out a loan to purchase art supplies- good grief!"
And thankfully, and old friend responded:
"I know, they are so expensive...but with the beautiful art you create, it is all worth it :)"
(Thanks Beens!)

Ok, now that I've tooted my own horn as an attempt to diminish the gaping whole in my daughter's college fund and my own personal financial guilt, I will move on.



Waxy Matters:

Today, I purchased encaustic wax.
I purchased a bar of translucent wax medium, a 1lb bag of translucent wax "beads," a small bar of Impasto/modeling wax (for those excellent textures- this apparently has a higher melting point, and therefore retains shape when applying
other encaustic layers over), a few small bars of encaustic paints in various
colors, a few plastic oil paint palette knives (I realize that I was encouraged to purchase an
electric spatula with all the numerous attachments, but I just don't think I need that for what I'm doing), and I'll be using some of my own brushes and a heat gun. I also purchased my ground/canvas. I am using "Cradled Encaustic boards." This is kind of a silly term, because really they are just gessoed MDF boards precut and adhered to 1 by.

This should be interesting! Here is a quick little video I found from Dick Blick that shows how encaustic can be used.

Also, today, I am printing out and gathering my materials for the collage(s). Again, what has been great about the digital application is that I can plan out my "wax filter layers" and print out more translucent images on velum or transparencies, or other various types of papers.

I will let you all know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment