Monday, January 2, 2012

Kudos to Milkowski: Terrarium Gift


Matt's moss terrarium with my mom's personalized spritzer.
As I mentioned in a previous post, I'd like to add a few KUDOS out there to my artist friends by whom I am inspired.  This post goes out to Matt Milkowski, and is themed along with some prior posts about holiday gifts.  


As the season came closer and closer, I became more and more unsure of what to give this year.  Luckily, I get to work with... well, working artists (one major pro about being an art teacher).  My coworker, Matt, is a very humble man, and incredibly talented.  He had been working, unbeknownst to me at the time, on creating terrariums.  


The first thing that came to my mind was, 'terrariums?  Like what we made in elementary school?  Like, the little plants inside a cut up 2 liter bottle of coke?'  Well, indeed, that is what he makes, but FAR more artistically and sophisticated than what I had envisioned.  Matt was telling me about his terrariums because he was in the midst of preparing for the Bucktown Holiday Art Show where he would be selling his terrariums.  I said, "Hey Matt- send me some photos!" 


And so, he did.  


And so... I said, "Hey Matt!  I want to purchase some of those!"  






And so, I did.  
Originally I really wanted a moss one for my sister.  As a kid, my sister and I used to dig up the little caterpillar type moss we found in the cracks of the sidewalk and "plant" them in the dirt and lava rocks we set up in some big old fish bowls.  


However, instead I purchased the moss for my mom, from whom I inherited my "brown thumb".  This was a perfect gift for her.  It was so beautiful in that glass vessel (which can be hung!), and it is so low maintenance.  The only addition that I squeezed in with my personal touch is the spray bottle.  


The one I did end up purchasing for my sister was this crazy air plant!  First of all, I had no idea what this thing was.  Matt explained to me that these plants can live anywhere, like a bookshelf, or even pinned on my sweater!  They do not need dirt to live!  This still blows my mind.  Again... I have a brown thumb.  My sister had been a landscape architect in her previous career, so I thought she would not only appreciate this really cool plant, but also its very artistic asymmetrical balance.  And of course, I personalized a spritzer for her as well (thank you, Target- in the travel items area!).  


I couldn't help to purchase a few more of these really fantastic terrariums as a few more gifts as well.  Matt sells much larger terrariums as well in some incredibly interesting vessels (like mason jars and coffee shop syrup containers!) that really make his work unique.  


Matt Milkowski's website:    http://mattmilkowski.com/home.html


Matt Milkowski's TERRARIUMS:    http://mattmilkowski.com/section/274976_terrariums.html

No comments:

Post a Comment