Sunday, January 15, 2012

TACTILE TENDENCIES & Kudos to Artist Karyn Meyer-Berthel

Blogging about being blogged about!?:  
I am so pleased to share (brag) that I was asked to be the Featured Artist this month (January, 2012) on:


http://blog.dynastybrush.com/2012/01/artist-spotlight-janet-taylor.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook


Here, I talk about the kinds of brushes I like to use.  The funny thing is that I am so non-specific I feel horrible that I get to be featured on a site about brushes!!  I work with so many different brushes that I don't usually notice the brand or type... it's all by touch and feel (and cost!) for me.  I was just about to explain all of that, but heck!  You can just read the article.


On a slight selfish tangent
The Dynasty Brush blog is written by a long time friend of mine who works for a few art companies as a blogger.  For someone who blogs in a very informal manner (me), I was so honored to be asked to be part of, none-the-less featured in her very professional writing.   I just HAD to boast, since... well, this time, it wasn't ME who was blogging about... well, ME!  


I had a conversation way-back-when about blogging and how self serving it is.  How narcissistic to be writing about yourself and posting it to the world!  I would just like to mention that similar form of writing... umm, the memoir?  And, I justify my writing a tiny bit more because my posts here have some connection with art, as opposed to that very addictive form of social media: THE FACEBOOK (yes, I call it "the"- when my students ask me if I'm on FB, I reply, "What's that?  A book of faces or something?"); wherein you find all sorts of meaningless, funny, annoying, inappropriate forms of communication via statuses and wall posts (all of which I am completely innocent...ahem).  And at least none of my posts here are inappropriate.  Right?  


Exchange of kudos
Needless to say, this was a very exciting opportunity!  Here's to keeping those fingers crossed to become even more widely known in that vast inter-web space.  In the meantime, I wanted to give a shout out and kudos to my good friend, Karyn, and her artwork.  Karyn is an artist, a mother, a wife, a carpenter, a painter, a scenic artist, a writer... what else?  For the past 3 years, Karyn and her husband, Bill, have been working on renovating their 130 year-old victorian home.  I might say that I am incredibly jealous... but then I read her blog about the immense amount of work that they have put into restoring the home and I say, so glad it's you and not me.  Karyn always has had an eye for detail, and it's very apparent in the time she spent to hand stencil "wallpaper" in her entire dining room.  


KARYN MEYER
“Purple Haze”, 2009
Acrylic on panel
24” x 24”
After working with Karyn for years in the scenic (theatre) industry, I was quite taken aback by her most recent artwork.  Karyn is a highly skilled realist painter, however, her abstract works have piqued my tactile senses.  Karyn works with acrylics to create uniquely woven lines of paint on the canvas that from photos reminds me of wool loom work.  I strongly believe that artwork should be available to touch, and Karyn's work makes me want to run my fingers across the canvas, rippling my finger tips gently along the dips and bumps created from the paint.  Layering is an aspect that I use throughout all of my artwork, and I just love how much depth Karyn gets with her multiple weaving layers of paint.   Now, I must admit.  I have not seen one of these paintings in person due to our unfortunate distance, so it is quite possible that the work has very little actual physical texture.  To me, that makes her work even more luscious and tactile.  


For more of Karyn's artwork and blogs, please visit her website:  http://www.karynmeyer.com/KarynMeyer.com/Home.html


I hope you enjoy her work as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment