Thursday, July 23, 2015

Lesson: Linear Perspective MONSTER ROOMS!

Have I mentioned before that I LOOOOOOVE monsters?  No?  Well, then you must not have read my previous monster posts here, here, or here.  Shame on you!  Go visit them after you read this one.  You'll be happy you did.  

Taylor's example
Okay, so I have taught Drawing 1 this past semester and again in summa skool.  One topic I really hate teaching is ONE POINT LINEAR PERSPECTIVE!  You might ask yourself, "I know, it's the math, isn't it?"  Nope.  "Is it the streets and houses and rooms you get bored of?"  Wrong again.  "Is it the sword fighting that happens when metal rulers are brought out?"  Hmm, actually, no I like that part.  In fact, I usually give my students 30 seconds to get that outta' their systems.  Then, done.  No more.  What?  You didn't get to spear your classmate or poke out an eye?  Too bad for you!  You were too slow.  It's over.  

NO!  It's the cheesiness.  The tackiness.  The rudimentary elementary looking artwork that I get from this.  Maybe I'm not a good teacher when it comes to linear perspective, and THAT'S WHY!  Or maybe I just don't like to give a huge amount of time that truly is needed to get the details just right.  I don't know.  It just seems that it's just so easy to mess up.  Even the most skilled student who really understands the concepts can quickly and easily draw one line wrong and the whole things just looks "off."  UGH!  

So, instead of fighting it (totally and completely), I try to make it as silly as possible.  Last semester I had the students create a B Movie Poster using one point perspective.  That was fun, and the kids enjoyed it.  Still not my FAVORITE, but okay, I did like it.  I'll post on that one later.  Right now, I'm in my monster kick (if you couldn't tell) and so I'll show you what my students did for Drawing 1 in summa skool this summer.  

MONSTER ROOMS, of course!  I ended class one day with a collaborative game.  I had students first draw a shape (any shape will do!) in their sketchbooks.  Then, they passed their sketchbooks.  Then another set of instructions (draw eyes).  Then pass.  And so on and so forth.  When finally passed back to the original owner, they received a silly collaborative MONSTER!  yay.  Love it!  

Student uses his brainstorm sketches in his
sketchbook to create his artwork.  
The next day, when the students came in, we talked about Linear Perspective (MY FAVORITE! gag).  We practiced drawing streets with buildings and then a room of choice.  Then, I told them that they had to create an environment, a room perhaps, for their monster (with the option of making a new monster instead of sticking with the one from the collaborative game).  

They had to create a 1/2" border (on a 5" x 7" paper I provided), pencil in the drawing, ink the drawing using line weight, and add pencil shading to enhance.  Lastly, of course add a signature and a title.  Here is what we came away with:  ENJOY!




























1 comment:

  1. this is golden, your students did an amazing job keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete